14 November 2009

UVA Hospital: Day Five

I have neglected my blog. In all seriousness, I was spaced-out and completely exhausted by the end of my hospital stay, and could not bring myself to type coherently after Day Four. I also walked away very, very... frustrated, and therefore gave up for a while. I have just returned from another trip to the University of Virginia and feel motivated to yammer about my crappy disease at the moment, so let's get this ball rolling!

On Day Five in the hospital, I managed to stay up all night. This meant that I had two nights in a row of sleep deprivation. It was excruciating! I know I drifted off, because my perpetual watcher had to ding the intercom bell several times to wake me up. I made sure to SLAM my cup back on the table after I took sips. I also had trouble hearing the tv over my roommate's various emanations, so I quite generously amplified the volume. I did keep my light off though - wouldn't want to keep anyone awake.

Was I being a a bitch? Yes! So very yes! I'm a nice and considerate person in general but come on! Being in the hospital was not easy, and by that point in the stay, I had lost the inclination to be a doormat when the offender was a disgusting, selfish, unclean, mean, inconsiderate, festering blob of a person.

Regarding my "unclean" comment above, I can't help but mention that by DAY FIVE (that's right, FIVE), my roommate had not (a) brought a toothbrush into the bathroom with her, (b) washed her hands after using the toilet, or (c) accepted the nurses' many (many) (many many) offers for wipes with which to take a sponge bath. In hindsight, I wish that, after she said no to the offer of cleansing goods, I had pulled out a sheet of paper and written a note to the nurses insisting that she bathe.

People like my roommate are the reason that we have food poisoning and epidemics. Also the reason that I hate touching doors and handrails and... blearg!

No comments:

Post a Comment